Lumina Foundation Education Innovation Prize
A call for innovative solutions that help U.S. adults obtain credentials that lead to further education and employment in a rapidly changing economy.
2019 Challenge Question
How might we help adults in the U.S. develop the skills and obtain credentials that lead to further education and employment in a rapidly changing economy?
Strong submissions will include solutions—particularly products and services—that align with one or more of the following considerations:
- Provide support for solutions that advance Lumina’s equity imperative — solutions that place equity and excellence at the center of their models — to give all Americans, regardless of race, income and other socioeconomic factors, a fair shot at success.
- Provide support for alternative education providers focused on adult learners, such as community-based organizations, workforce training providers, the military, and employers.
- Provide unique wraparound supports that benefit adult learners.
- Capture and translate learning gained through work, military, and certification experiences toward credentials of value.
- Consider solutions that address educational, employment, and holistic needs for incarcerated or formerly incarcerated individuals,
- Consider solutions that address educational, employment, and holistic needs for military personnel transitioning out of the service.
- Articulate return on investment for education providers serving adult learners, and for adults considering postsecondary education pathways.
Lumina Foundation will not consider:
- Student loans or financing
- Ideas that are capital-intensive (e.g. infrastructure, such as a building)
- K-12 programs
- Graduate programs
- Corporate training programs
- Non-U.S.-based programs